Highlight – Cicloturismo (Segmento)
The 116 km long bicycle route Alte Salzstraße connects the old Hanseatic cities of Lüneburg and Lübeck. Where valuable salt was transported to Lübeck on sandy paths in the Middle Ages, cyclists today discover the beauties of the Duchy of Lauenburg in all their diversity on the historic trade route.
The route leads through the Duchy of Lauenburg from Lüneburg (Lower Saxony) to Lübeck-Travemünde. Cyclists pass the cities of Lauenburg, Büchen, and Mölln. On the way there is the Lüne Abbey, the Scharnebeck boat lift as well as numerous locks and a wire rope ferry to discover.
There are connections to Deutsche Bahn in the cities of Lüneburg, Lauenburg, Büchen, Mölln, and Lübeck as well as Lübeck-Travemünde. The trains run every hour and take bicycles with them.
The easy-to-navigate route was renovated in 2004 and mostly runs along paved sandy paths and low-traffic roads.
The route is largely flat.
The bike path is fully signposted and marked with logos.
The route has a low level of difficulty and is suitable for beginners, recreational drivers and families with children.
Rest areas, shelters, shelters as well as grill and playgrounds are available at different intervals along the entire route.
In the cities, cafes and restaurants invite you to linger and enjoy.
Youth hostels, campsites or one of the numerous bed & bike establishments along the Old Salt Road are available for overnight stays. Lists of the corresponding accommodations can be found at: bettundbike.de.
Bicycle rental and repair services are available in the cities of Lüneburg, Artlenburg / Elbe, Lauenburg, Mölln, Ratzeburg and Lübeck.
herzogtum-lauenburg.de/radfernweg-alte-salzstrasse- it's route
25 marzo 2019
The path is quite strict. On the one hand lies on the road, it is just not a smooth asphalt, on the other hand blowing there often a strong wind. Kanal halt ..... On our journey from Mölln to Lauenburg we realized then that we would rather take the train back ..... But the effort was worth it, you should not miss Lauenburg.
22 ottobre 2018
The forerunner of the Elbe-Lübeck Canal is the historic Stecknitz Canal, which was built by the Lübeckers in the course of the Stecknitz and Delvenau rivers between 1391 and 1398. Their old routes can still be seen on the left and right of today's Elbe-Lübeck Canal. This canal had 17 locks (initially dams, later as chamber locks) over a length of 97 kilometers and was the first real watershed canal in Europe. Of the locks, the palm lock in Lauenburg and the Dückerschleuse (storage lock) at Witzeeze are still preserved. This waterway remained in operation for almost 500 years until the start of construction on the ELK.
The new canal was put into operation in 1900. As the only German canal of this era besides the Kaiser Wilhelm Canal, the Elbe-Lübeck Canal was designed for 1000-ton ships right from the start. The seven locks mediate traffic between the Elbe and the Baltic Sea via the apex at Mölln, which is about twelve meters higher than the Trave. They are designed for two ships each 8 meters wide and up to 80 meters long (or at that time for 65-meter-long barges in a tugboat association), only the Lauenburg lock, which was renewed in 2006, is 115 meters long.
The importance of the canal today is rather low, as the small lock and bridge dimensions for today's times do not allow economical container transport and only small inland vessels up to a loading of 1000 t can pass the canal. The canal is mainly used today for bulk material (such as gravel extracted in the area of the canal). In 2008, the transport volume was 1.1 million tons for 2432 freight ships (both related to the Lauenburg lock). In addition, the canal is also used by sports shipping in traffic between the Baltic Sea and the Elbe (approx. 5000–6000 boats per year)
24 agosto 2017
Te ne intendi? Effettua l'accesso per aggiungere un suggerimento per altri avventurieri!
I nostri suggerimenti si basano su migliaia di attività completate da altri utenti su komoot.