Highlight – Escursionismo
The Lauenburg Castle over the city Lauenburg in Schleswig-Holstein was eponymous for the Duchy of Lauenburg. It was destroyed by shelling by Imperial Artillery in 1656. The only remnant is the tower.On January 29, 1616, a fire broke out on Schlossberg. Starting from the castle church, the fire spread to one of the main wings of the castle, which housed the manorial premises. The fire was triggered by an unchecked coal fire in the castle church. Part of the castle remained intact. Duke Franz II lived in the undamaged part of the palace until his death on July 2, 1619. After the conclusion of the contract of inheritance, Duke August moved his residence to the Ratzeburg Palace in 1619. The duchess Maria used the area of the castle until her death on 13th August 1626. On a Danish military map of the year 1638 the castle is still pictured. The castle was temporarily under Swedish occupation, 1656 damaged imperial artillery fire the remaining buildings heavy. Duke Julius Heinrich planned a new building after the end of the war, but this was no longer carried out. In 1708, the now called castle office building was built. The gatehouse and an adjoining building were demolished in 1817.The center of the Schlossberg and the landmark of Lauenburg is the mighty defense tower. This was completed after 20 years of construction in 1477 (see above) and provided with two meters thick walls, loopholes and powder chambers. From here it was possible to control the city, the Elbe and the surrounding country. After the destruction of the castle in 1656, an upper floor was demolished and the tower was around 1725 its present form with the baroque roof rider. Inside, prison cells have been set up on the upper floor and a lapidarium has been placed in the ribbed basement. Ludwig Harms, founder of the Hermannsburg Mission, regularly visited the delinquents in prison cells.Opposite the tower is the office building of 1708, today known as the "Castle". The elongated brick building with its hipped roof has been used by the city administration as a service building since the 1920s. The palace complex was inhabited until 1924 by Lieutenant Colonel Georg Brinkmann.Source:
17 dicembre 2017
While strolling through the old town of Lauenburg you will discover cozy restaurants, small shops and workshops of artisans. Due to Lauenburg's hillside, an upper and a lower town were created. Numerous alleys and stairs connect both districts and offer great views and views.
The center of the old town is Elbstraße, the oldest street in Lauenburg. Business flourished here. Particularly worth seeing are the Maria Magdalenen church from 1227, the Mensingsche house (Lauenburg's oldest house from 1573) and the "old merchant house.
Colorful half-timbered houses, historic steamships and wonderful views of the Elbe await you in the shipping town of Lauenburg.
Where one of the largest transshipment points in Northern Europe used to be, today excursion boats moor regularly. A special experience is a trip on the steam ships "Kaiser Wilhelm" and "Elbe", which are over 100 years old. You can find out how life and work on board used to be in the Elbe Shipping Museum.
10 febbraio 2019
The oldest, today still to be visited part of the castle, is the mighty defense tower opposite the today's office building. He is really impressive and worth seeing. A clear recommendation.
The tower was completed after a twenty-year construction period in 1477. Equipped with two meters thick walls, various loopholes and a powder chamber, the surrounding area could be controlled from here. After the destruction of the castle in the 17th century, the top floor had to be demolished and replaced by the baroque roof ridge still visible today. Nevertheless, one can still look far into Lower Saxony from the Schlossturmspitze. On the first floor of the castle tower, prison cells are set up, which are still originally equipped. In the former powder chamber in the basement there is a lapidarium (collection of stone works). The tower is open to interested visitors and can be visited free of charge.
Source and further information: herzogtum-lauenburg.de/a-schloss-und-schlossturm
10 febbraio 2019
The city of Lauenburg is divided. The upper town with its highlight the castle and the picturesque lower town. The Elbe-Lübeck Canal, an old waterway from the Hanseatic era, begins in Lauenburg. It made the transportation of goods to Lübeck much safer. Lauenburg is a boat town. When coming from the south, the first thing that catches my eye is the shipyard. It is not only important for shipbuilding, but also for repairs of inland vessels up to a certain size. There are still two steamships, the Kaiser Wilhelm and the icebreaker.
The lower city, a tourist magnet, is attached to the ridges of the Gees and is threatened by all floods. Here is a bottleneck and the flood can reach almost 10 m.
A walk is always worthwhile, whether by bike or on foot. For the story and further information a link to Wiki:
11 febbraio 2017
Most visitors to the Lauenburg old town stayed down, but it is worth going up to the castle. The paths are steep but every meter is worth it.1. Via the ferry stairs, access via Elbstrasse to the left of the Hotel Fährleutehaus.
2. Going up the sunken path at the Maria Magdalenen church is worthwhile because of the lacing of beautiful half-timbered houses or the Wallweg.Upstairs you will be rewarded with wonderful views of the Elbe. From the view terrace called "Askanierblick" below the office building, the view over the Elbe extends far into Lower Saxony.
17 dicembre 2017
The castle on the well-defended Elbhang was first mentioned in 1182. It was expanded, especially under Duke John VI. The result was a stately castle in the style of the Renaissance. It was built predominantly of brick and had numerous outbuildings, such as the kitchen house, the brewhouse and bakery, the gatehouse and a horse stable. Also a castle church was built in 1595 on the occasion of the intact homecoming of the Duke from the Turkish War. However, it did not last long. Because here broke out on January 29, 1616, a fire that spread to the wing of the castle, which housed the premises of the lords, and destroyed a large part of the castle complex. Only a few rooms remained habitable. Until his death in 1619, Duke Franz II still lived in the intact part of the building. His successor, Duke August, moved his residence thereafter to Ratzeburg and only the Duchess Maria used the castle until 1626. At times the castle fell under Danish occupation. In 1656 it was badly damaged by imperial artillery fire. A new building after the war was indeed planned and planned, but was not implemented. In 1708, the building, now called a castle, was built. Already since the 1920s, it houses the city administration of Lauenburg / Elbe.
10 febbraio 2019
High above the Elbe, on the southernmost tip of Schleswig-Holstein, you can enjoy a clear view of Lower Saxony and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. From the Askanierblick in Lauenburg / Elbe, the eye wanders over the border triangle. The big river dominates the idyllic landscape.Three waterways meet in the over 800-year-old Schifferstadt: the Elbe, the Elbe-Lübeck and the Elbe-Seiten Canal. Those who feel pulled down from Askanierblick in the historic old town, can be found after a short walk between narrow streets and colorful half-timbered houses of Elbstraße again.The Askanierblick was named after the German Uradels gender of the Ascanians. The Ascanians are among the oldest reigning nobility and have been instrumental in the history of some northern German states. One of the most famous representatives of this sex is Tsarina Catherine II of Russia. With the castle and its mighty defense tower behind you, you can enjoy the fantastic view over the Elbe today, as did the Lauenburg dukes once.
10 febbraio 2019
Colorful half-timbered houses, historic steamships and wonderful panoramic views of the Elbe await you in the shipping town of Lauenburg / Elbe.
The southernmost city of Schleswig-Holstein is located in the border triangle of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein.
Located directly on the bank and on the slopes of the Elbe, historical half-timbered houses are lined up in the Elbstraße. With the many lovingly renovated houses, the old town of Lauenburg is the largest monument ensemble in all of Schleswig-Holstein.
History comes to life on a walk over the old cobblestones of the shipping town. Numerous small streets and stairs connect the old town with the upper town.
10 febbraio 2019
The lower town of Lauenburg actually consists of only one street, Elbstrasse. It is always nice, no matter what the season, to walk along there. It is lined with old half-timbered houses, arts and crafts and restaurants. If there is not a flood, you can go back well on the shore. One symbol is the steamship Kaiser-Wilhelm and the caller at Ruferplatz.
22 marzo 2017
The oldest part of the castle that can still be visited today is the mighty defense tower opposite the current official building. After twenty years of construction, it was completed in 1477. Equipped with two meter thick walls, various loopholes and a powder chamber, the surrounding area could be controlled from here. After the castle was destroyed in the 17th century, the top floor had to be removed and was replaced by the baroque roof turret that can still be seen today. Nevertheless, you can still see far into Lower Saxony from the top of the Schlossturmspitze. On the first floor of the castle tower there are prison cells that are still originally furnished. In the former powder chamber in the basement there is now a lapidarium (collection of stone works). The defense tower is open to interested visitors and can be viewed free of charge.
15 ottobre 2020
Te ne intendi? Effettua l'accesso per aggiungere un suggerimento per altri avventurieri!
I nostri suggerimenti si basano su migliaia di attività completate da altri utenti su komoot.